Saturday, January 7, 2012

Where Pelicans Are

This is a big shout out for local author, Joy Seevers as well as a local icon, the Gippsland Lakes.
'Where Pelicans Are' is the true story of the disappearance of young, professional fisherman, Steven Grassby, who vanished while fishing with his father in Tambo Bay in 1998. In recounting the story of the long search for Steven, Joy tells the stories of Gippslands' lakes and ocean fishermen through the ages, weaving past and present together in dramatic fashion as the search unfolds.
Joy Seevers is Steven's aunt, and a member of the Mitchelson family of Lakes Entrance, who have fished the Gippsland Lakes and Bass Strait for five generations. While her grief is palpable, so is her love for the seafaring livelihood that 'oscillates between tranquility and tragedy'.
If you love the Lakes and want to understand more about their past - ecologically, historically and socially - then this book is a great read. A journo friend of mind described the writing as 'unpolished', but in my mind, that's the beauty of it. The writing is raw and real, like the industry it describes and the lives it honours.
Published by Black Fin books. If you have trouble finding a copy, let me know.

5 comments:

  1. Really loved this book and it gave me a beter understanding of the Gippisland Lakes. Such a sad story but so descriptive and really makes me want to go back and explore this area. Joy is a lovely lady and so full of life. Her knowledge of the area is outstanding.
    Thanks for writing such a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Would really like to get a copy of Joy's book. How do I do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, I got my copy from the independent bookshop in Lakes Entrance, Vic 3909
      You could google them or try phoning to order a copy. I am on the road at the moment, sorry I can't be more helpful, but they should be able to assist. Let me know how you get on. Cheers, Mel

      Delete
  3. Hello Mel. I have just come across your Blog in search of a book.
    During my teenage years I was very connected with the Gippsland Lakes, particularly Paynesville and especially Ocean Grange when my parents owned 'The Grange'.
    Twenty'ish years ago I was given "Where Pelicans Are". A truly wonderful read and so, so personal to me. The 'lakes' were my playground.
    Alas, it never came back from a loan!
    I'm now on a mission to acquire a replacement. I see from an earlier post you suggest the independent bookshop in Lakes!
    Do you have a name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, 'Just Books' 563 Esplanade, Lakes Entrance. On Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Independent-Bookstore/Just-Books-994393093929866/
      Hope you can find a copy! Thanks for getting in touch.

      Delete