Tuesday, March 13, 2012

2012 APC Logistics Marlay Point Overnight Yacht Race

The weekend just past saw the running of the 44th annual Marlay Point Overnight Yacht Race on the Gippsland Lakes in Victoria, Australia. Here's my reflection on the race, as shared on another forum.

This was my first MPONR as a committee member; my third as a competitor; my first with my family. Entries were down by about 30 boats with 132 entries in the end, with some unable to get through flood waters and others busy with other commitments, or swayed by lack of time, money or wind. But despite the smaller numbers, there was an amazing vibe at Marlay Point on the Friday and Saturday, as competitors and spectators gathered for the 44th MPONR. Perhaps word had got out that the current from the flooding Avon River would keep us moving through the Straits, even without wind...
5-8 knots for the start and an amazing big orange moon that was soon blanketed by clouds. We were into the Straits by about 11:30pm on our Ultimate 18. We being my husband Steve (stink boater) and my seven year old son. It was so quiet in the Straits, with boats spread out and no wind to speak of. And yet we glided on through. Ran aground once about half way through when the current sucked us into shore. And then a miracle happened...
Second mate (husband Steve) refused to make his Skipper a coffee (and subsequently also refused to walk the plank or be keel hauled), so Skipper handed over the helm, muttering words of encouragement (not!) to this first time helmsman and went below to make a very strong coffee. Came back up to see stink boat hubby gazing up at the tell tales and 'sniffing the wind'. I sat quitely down to drink my coffee and observe, and watched him helm with a look of quiet contentment on his face. Could my stink boater, non-sailor husband be falling under the spell?
Out into Lake Victoria and I trimmed the sails as hubby continued to helm, adjusting course as needed to keep us on a tight track to Paynesville. Things were working well...I was enjoying being free of the helm and trimming the sheets.
Then the wind changed to downwind. Crumbs, I said to hubby, we should really put the spinnaker up, but I've never done it on my own. Well, give it whirl hon, he said encouragingly. The wind was only light, so I did just that. Seven year old son began to hoist the spinnaker with the halyard while I clipped on the pole and sheets...what a beautiful sight when the sail filled and we scooched off... OMG, I said to husband and son - the Farleys are flying a spinnaker!
Back to the genoa for a tacking duel with some Sunmaids and some Hartley 16's as we headed towards Point Turner, before rounding the point for the run home. Spinnakers again for a nano second before the wind changed (I thought I would fall off the bow with exhaustion); needed hubby to help attach the pole this time. Seven year old took the helm while surrounded by other boats and Mum and Dad were up on deck. Well done kiddo! Proud moment for Mum. Crossed the line on a close reach with about 30 other boats. What a thrill for us.
Such an honour to be a member of the tiny club called LWYC. Such a privillege to be part of the sailing community. Such a joy to sail the MPONR with my family. Such a miracle that my husband appears to have fallen in love with sailing - just don't tell him he has! ;-)
Handed in the log to be told by the Commodore that we had come eighteenth on corrected time. Hubby laughed and said 'Imagine what we could have done if we had known what we were doing!'
Imagine indeed... :roll:




More information on the race is available here:
http://www.lakewellingtonyachtclub.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment